HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --This week a senior at Waller High School was suspended for having long hair.
The school district said that his hair violates the school dress code. We'll have an exclusive look into his story at 6 p. m. on Eyewitness News.
Here's a look at the haircut policies for the eight biggest school districts in the Houston area.
1. Hair must be neatly combed and clean in appearance.
2. The length of hair is not important as long as it meets health and safety requirements in labs and work areas.
3. Hair nets and wave caps are not acceptable.
4. Metal rakes, combs and wave brushes are prohibited during school hours.
5. Hats, caps, scarves, hair rollers, bandannas, or sweatbands must not be worn in the building by males or females. These items must be left in lockers during the school day.
6. Hairstyles (cuts, designs, names, and colors, i.e. blue, green, burgundy, red, and multicolored) which adversely affect the educational atmosphere of the school will not be permitted.
7. Braids will be allowed for young men provided the hair remains braided for the entire school day.
1. Students should wear garments, shoes, jewelry, accessories and hairstyles that are appropriate and modest in length and coverage.
2. They should reflect a positive image of the school and contribute to a distraction-free learning environment.
3. Lead teachers and/or staff have to reasonably believe that the dress code issue does not interfere with, disturb, or distract from the classroom and/or learning environment.
4. Hair must be well groomed, neat and clean at all times; hair style/color and makeup must not detract from or interfere with the learning and school environment.
RELATED: STAAR testing begins today for Texas students
FORT BEND ISD:
1. Hair must be neat, clean and well-groomed; worn in a style and color that is not distracting.
2. Boys' hair length should not exceed touching the shoulders at full extension in the back unless required by the student's religion.
3. Boys' sideburns shall be no more than one-half inch below the ear lobes and shall not be flared.
4. Drawings, icons, and/or other markings cut into or colored into the hair, including eyebrows, and not associated with required religious markings or hairstyles are not permitted.
5. Mustaches, beards, or goatees are not allowed unless required to be worn by a student's religion or with physician's documentation.
1. Hair must be neat, clean, and well-groomed at all times. Extreme hair styles which include hair that is dyed an unnatural color (i.e., green, purple, orange, etc.) will not be permitted.
2. Hairstyles (cut and color) which adversely affect the educational atmosphere of the school will not be permitted.
3. Symbols or designs shaved into the hair are not permissible.
4. Wigs are not acceptable as a cover-up for hair not meeting the dress code.
1. Hair must be clean, well-groomed and out of the eyes, and shall be a non-distracting hair color that is styled in a way that is neither distracting nor conspicuous.
2. Hairstyles that create a safety hazard or a material or substantial disruption are not permitted.
1. Each campus' dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, and minimize safety hazards.
2. Students and parents may determine a student's personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the guidelines established by the child's campus.
3. If the principal determines that a student's grooming or clothing violates the school's dress code, the student will be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school. If not corrected, the student will be assigned to in-school suspension for the remainder of the day, until the problem is corrected, or until a parent or designee brings an acceptable change of clothing to the school.
4. Repeated offenses may result in more serious disciplinary action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.
1. Hair must be neat, clean, well-groomed, and may not have shaved designs.
2. No type of head covering, cap or hat (such as bandannas, sweatbands, etc.) may be worn on campus. No hair rollers or long-handled combs may be worn on campus.
3. Sideburns must be kept neatly trimmed and must not extend below ear level or flare at the bottom.
4. Symbols and/or styles which are identified with gang membership or representation shall not be allowed. A list of prohibited symbols and/or styles is posted next to the Student Code of Conduct in the principal's office. Students are responsible for reviewing the posted list to determine prohibited symbols and/or dress styles.
5. Mustaches and beards are prohibited, and faces must be clean-shaven.
1. Hair must be clean and neatly combed and out of the eyes.
2. It may not be rolled or covered by a scarf.
3. Any hairstyle or color that is distracting or disturbing will not be permitted on school property.
4. Designs and insignias cannot be cut in the hair.
5. Male students may not grow beards or mustaches and sideburns may not be lower than the bottom of the earlobe.
Report a typo to the ABC13 digital staff