HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --Welcoming a dog into your home can be quite an adventure, but it's important to make sure that you're prepared for a pet! The Houston SPCA recommends taking these seven steps when adopting a dog:
- Pet-proof your home, and prepare members of your family before the dog arrives.
- Make sure that your pet gets adequate exercise, and watch for signs of heat stress and exhaustion during warm summer months.
- Ensure your new pet receives proper house training and socialization.
- Schedule monthly prevention and yearly exams to keep Fido in good health.
- Ensure your animal is easily identifiable via microchip or tag, and keep registration information current.
- Dogs can live for more than a decade, so ensure that everyone in the household is ready for the multi-year commitment of owning a dog.
- Talk with your veterinarian to determine the appropriate feeding amount and type of food for your new four-legged friend.
If you're ready to adopt a pet, don't miss ABC13's Pick Your Pet drive on March 23. Between 6 a.m. and 2 p.m., all adoptions made at the ABC13 studios will be free courtesy of Platinum Pools. The drive then continues until 6 p.m. at the Houston SPCA. Click here for more information.
YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND IS WAITING!
Report a typo to the ABC13 digital staff