NEW YORK, New York --J.C. Penney released the list of 138 stores set to close nationwide, which includes several across Texas.
Those stores are located in the following locations:
- Athens Village Shopping Center (Athens, Texas)
- Borger Shopping Plaza (Borger, Texas)
- Heartland Mall (Early, Texas)
- El Paso Downtown (El Paso, Texas)
- Marshall Mall (Marshall, Texas)
- McAllen Downtown (McAllen, Texas)
- University Mall (Nacogdoches, Texas)
- King Plaza Shopping Center (Seguin, Texas)
- Bosque River Center (Stephenville, Texas)
LINK: See the full list of store closures here
Most of the closures are set to occur in June, the company said, with the liquidation process set to begin at most stores on April 17.
The company said some 5,000 positions will be impacted nationwide. Outplacement support services for those who are eligible will be provided.
The retail store chain announced its intention to close 130 to 140 stores in late February.
J.C. Penney said the closures came as it "aims to improve profitability in the era of online shopping."
Report a typo to the ABC13 digital staff