HOUSTON (KTRK) --A Fort Bend County man is thankful for a second chance at life after choking on a chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-A.
"It was divine intervention that we ended up at Chick-fil-A at the same time," said Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls.
Nehls was enjoying lunch at Chick-fil-A Wednesday afternoon when Louis Palacios started choking on his chicken sandwich.
"I tried to push my stomach, you know, above my belly button," Palacios explained. "I'm starting to black out."
He staggered toward Nehls who was sitting a few tables over.
"When you see a person in uniform, you just know that's where you go," Palacios said.
"He wasn't making any noise. He had one hand over his throat, knowing he had complete airway obstruction, so I told him, 'I'm going to apply the Heimlich maneuver on you,'" Nehls said. "It took him about two or three good thrusts."
The piece of chicken landed on the floor.
"I was just thanking God for giving me another chance at life because it was minutes away," Palacios added. "I wouldn't be here right now."