HOUSTON (KTRK) --An unusually strong windstorm is coming for Texas this weekend. Winds could gust up to 55mph under a blue sky Sunday.
A windstorm like this historically has only a 1 in 30 chance of occurring in January. Watch the video above for more on how this could impact your weekend plans.
The National Weather Service offers the following tips for staying safe during a high wind event:
- Trim tree branches away from your house and powerlines.
- Secure loose gutters and shutters.
- Identify an interior room of your house, such as a basement or interior bathroom, that you can take shelter induring high wind warnings.
- If you live in a mobile home, identify a sturdy building you can go to if NWS issues a high wind or severe thunderstorm warning.
- Update your emergency kit and be sure to include enough food and water to last for 3 days for each person in your home.
- Make a list of items outside your home you will need to tie down or put away so that they don't blow away or fly through a window. When NWS issues a high wind or severe thunderstorm watch, immediately secure these items to avoid damage or injury once the wind starts picking up.