- Nov. 16, 2016: A Southwest Airlines worker was shot and killed near an employee parking lot at Oklahoma City's airport. Police said the man who shot him was likely retaliating after losing his own job with the airline.
- March 21, 2015: A machete-wielding man attacked federal transportation security officers, slightly injuring one, at New Orleans' international airport and was shot to death. Authorities later said he also was carrying a bag loaded with Molotov cocktails.
- Nov. 1, 2013: A gunman with a grudge against the Transportation Security Administration shot and killed one of the agency's screeners and wounded three other people during a rampage at Los Angeles International Airport. He was sentenced to life plus 60 years in prison for murder and other crimes.
- July 4, 2002: An Egyptian national from Irvine, California, opened fire at an El Al ticket counter at Los Angeles International Airport, killing an airline employee and a diamond importer, and wounding four others. He was shot dead by a security guard.
- May 22, 2002: A former Marine killed a San Diego woman in the ticket area of the Louis Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans with a shotgun he had concealed inside a tube container. He was later found not guilty by reason of insanity.
VIDEO: Can you take guns on airplanes?