JJ Watt discusses his future with the Texans

EMBED </>More Videos

JJ Watt says he's "not done" (KTRK)

Houston Texans JJ Watt is trying to put an end to all of the questions about the future of his football career as he recovers from his second back surgery.

Earlier Tuesday morning, Watt posted on article on The Players' Tribune discussing his recent injuries, his recovery and his future.

Watt's response:
Yes, over the last year, I've been through some dark times, and my body was beat up more than most people probably realize. But I've learned that a life without adversity is a boring life to live. I've experienced the highs, and I've experienced the lows, and both are better than living in the middle.

The kid in me is back.
Am I done?
Hell no.

I'm just getting started.

RELATED: Texans' Osweiler battles Raiders and green laser, too

Watt then discussed his recent injuries including the back injury that ended his season.

Watt said he's been through some dark times and that his body was beat up more than most people realize.

He said fighting a staph infection last season was the scariest thing he has been through.

Watt on his injuries from the 2015 NFL season:
One broken hand.
One staph infection.
Two torn abs.
Three torn adductor muscles.

One herniated disc. (Twice).

Believe it or not, the scariest was probably the staph infection.

One Friday night last season, I noticed some weird bumps on my knee. I thought it was a rash, so I went and asked our trainer if he had any cream.

He looked at my knee and said, "That looks really bad. We have to get you to the hospital right now."

I thought he was joking at first. But then I could see in his face that he was serious and actually a bit panicked. As it turned out, he saved me in a big way. At the hospital, they immediately put me on three hours of the strongest antibiotic IVs. I went straight from the hospital to the team plane and we flew to Jacksonville. Once we landed, there were two more hours of antibiotics that night and two more the next morning before the game. The medicine had completely drained me, but I played - and we won.

I remember walking into the locker room after the game and just collapsing on the training table. My body was completely shot, with nothing left to give. As the trainers hooked me up to an IV, one of the guys walking past joked, "You alive?" Later that day on the flight back to Houston, one of the team doctors told me that if our trainer hadn't recognized the problem so quickly, I could have lost my leg.

Related Topics:
sportsjj wattHouston TexansHouston
(Copyright ©2017 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments