HFD: SE Houston house fire started in now-recalled Samsung washing machine

EMBED </>More News Videos

A Houston Fire Department report blames a SE Houston house fire on a faulty cord from a now-recalled Samsung washer.

A Houston family told Eyewitness News a recalled washing machine burned down their family house. The fire happened on August 28 at the Bob family's home on the 5800 block of Southurst Street on the southeast side of the city.

Katina Collins said the model in question is a Samsung top-loading machine. At the time, it wasn't recalled. Today, the model was part of a massive recall by the company. Samsung recalled almost 3 million machines, citing concerns they might explode.

VIDEO: Samsung recalls washing machines
EMBED </>More News Videos

Consumers say some Samsung washing machines can come apart violently.



Collins told us Samsung sent out a representative to look the fire. The family hasn't heard much since the visit. A Houston Fire Department report said the "fire began in wash room in the back from an apparent electrical cord to the washing machine."

Collins recalled the conversation with investigators and offered up advice for anybody who has a machine on the recall list.

"They told us that the fire started inside of this Samsung top-loader washer. They said that the fire completely melted the inside of the washer," said Collins.

"Take immediate action. Don't delay. If you know that your machine has been recalled, unplug it. Get on it right away because I don't want this to happen to anybody. This is a life-changing and devastating event. Nobody should have to go through this, especially when you work hard and you've paid for this equipment. Take action. Don't delay," she added.

Collins said the house belongs to her 69-year-old parents, Mary Bob and Arthur Bob Sr. They're both retired and had paid off the house. Collins explained they are now renting a property because the damage is so extensive.

Eyewitness News reached out to Samsung about the couple's fire. The company said they are looking into the situation and will update us.
Related Topics:
newsproduct recallshouse firesamsungHouston
(Copyright ©2016 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments