Houston mass shooting survivor reaches out to today's victims

EMBED </>More News Videos

The victim of a mass shooting in Houston in May reached out to victims of today's shooting in SW Houston (KTRK)

A woman who survived the first mass shooting in Houston back in May has reached out to the victims of the shooting today in southwest Houston.

Lawyer injures 9 in strip center shooting
EMBED </>More News Videos

Police take down suspect in Weslayan shooting rampage.

Denise Slaughter was in critical condition for six days after the mass shooting on May 29 in west Houston. When she heard about today's shooting, she tells abc13 she went to the trauma center at Memorial Hermann in an effort to speak to the victims and their families if she could.

She was able to speak with the father of a female victim who was shot in the stomach. That victim is now listed in stable condition.
Houston shooting victims' stories
EMBED </>More News Videos

Rampage victim speaks from hospital bed

Slaughter said, "I just, you know, wanted to reach out to them and let them know that you can get through this. ...(Her father) said, he's knows he's in the right place - he's from here and you know, he feels confident and very lucky that we have surgeons and hospitals like this.

She continued, "Because I think this is going to keep happening. And I had been talking with HPD and the Office of Emergency Management (about) alerts and shelter-in-place and things like that, and I notice that they did send out, this time, alerts and put it on the news which, when I was shot, people couldn't find out."

Watch her full interview in the player above.
Related Topics:
(Copyright ©2016 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments