MISSOURI CITY, TX (KTRK) --A Missouri City family moving into what they thought would be their dream home says they are now stuck in a nightmare.
Rick and Kim Ellis sold their home of 15 years and bought a log cabin on six acres in Weimar earlier this month.
Everything was packed onto an All My Sons moving truck on July 18th. Later that night, Rick says, the company called to tell him about a fire on the moving truck that was caused by a propane tank among the cargo being moved.
It's not clear how the fire began.
"The entire cabin of the inside of that truck was filled with smoke," said Rick.
VIDEO: Baytown family caught in bitter battle with moving company
There were only a few items damaged by fire: a couch, two chairs and the barbecue. The Ellis' say almost everything else in the truck reeked of smoke so badly they feared bringing it into their new home.
"This is a log cabin. It's gonna absorb all that smell and we're gonna ruin our entire home," said Kim.
The Ellis family is frustrated. Their children are sleeping on cots. The family can't really gather in their living room because the furniture reeks of smoke. They say All My Sons Moving and Storage offered them 60 cents per pound of freight moved as compensation.
"A can of peas and an iPad - they have the same value because they weight the same," said Rick.
All My Sons Moving and Storage refused to comment, saying only that the Ellis' are "gonna be taken care of". A representative did say that there should never have been a propane tank on the truck.
Its worth noting that the better business bureau shows 16 unresolved complaints against all my sons in the past year.
Also on the BBB site, consumers can find tips to help protect possessions before, during and after a move.