HOUSTON (KTRK) --Video was supposed to be released today of a fatal officer-involved shooting from earlier this month on Houston's south side, but during the news conference at which it was to be shown, Mayor Sylvester Turner said it wouldn't happen until tomorrow.
Mayor Turner said he wanted to release the video today to dispel what he said are false reports that Alva Braziel was unarmed when he was shot and killed by Houston police on July 9.
The mayor said he originally contacted Braziel's family to let them know that the video was going to be released today to give them an opportunity to see it first, but they never did.
The family hired an attorney, according to the mayor, who today contacted the city, saying it would be insensitive to release the video before the family saw it.
Mayor Turner now says the video will be released tomorrow at noon.
Just days after Braziel was shot, Mayor Turner said he was asking the Department of Justice to investigate.
The shooting happened on Cullen near Ward around 12:40am on Saturday, July 9. Officers say they saw a man with a revolver standing in the road. There were two officers in one vehicle and they asked Braziel to put the revolver down. Police say a witness also asked him to drop the weapon. Officers say instead of dropping the gun, Braziel raised his weapon and pointed it in the air. He then reportedly lowered it and pointed it at the two officers.
Immediately after, HPD says they each fired multiple shots. Braziel died at the scene.
To get alerts for breaking news, download the ABC-13 news app for iPhone or Android. You can also get breaking news alerts sent to you by email.