HOUSTON (KTRK) --This whole stuffed fish from Helen Greek Food and Wine is bursting with Greek flavors and topped with a simple salad for a light gourmet meal.
The fish stuffing is quickly made in a food processor. Cured meyer lemons can be substituted for half the amount of preserved lemons, which can generally be found in the international section of supermarkets. If you are not comfortable cleaning a fish, or aren't able to get it cleaned, you can spread this mixture onto fillets and cook it this way. The whole fish can also be grilled before finishing it off in the oven, as that is the way we cook it in the restaurant.
Yield: 1 large fish 2-4 #'s or two smaller fillets
-Whole fish, cleaned & deboned - 1 ea or 2 filets
-Olive oil to drizzle with
Fennel Pea & Lemon Stuffing
- Fennel bulb and fronds, chopped - 1 cups
- Scallion, chopped - 3/4 cups qts
- Aleppo - 1 1/2 tsp
- Olive oil - 1/4 cup
- Mint leaves - 1/4 cup
- Basil leaves - 1/4 cup
- Lemons, juice & zest - 1 ea
- Cured Meyer lemon - 1/8 cup chopped
- Peas (either freshly blanched or defrosted frozen peas) - 1 cup
1. Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until mixture reaches a spreadable consistency.
2. The stuffing can be made a couple of days in advance.
WATCH: Greens and Cheese Pie at Helen Greek Food & Wine
1. Spread fennel lemon stuffing evenly inside fish.
2. Place fish on a baking tray drizzled with olive oil.
3. Roast in a 400 oven for 30 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.
4. Serve fish with potatoes and a small salad on top as garnish.
Lemon curd tartlets
The Crab Louis Salad at B&B Butchers
WATCH NOW: Want A Great Bone-In Ribeye? Chef Cervantez of Killen's says, "It's all about the rub!"
Ronnie Killen's Famous Brisket
Triniti Restaurant's Caramel French toast
Pineapple rum cake from Killen's
Truffle-laced fries from Bernie's Burger Bus