PASADENA, TX --Pasadena police are warning residents and drivers about credit/debit skimming devices found at several ATMs and fuel pumps in the area.
Police say they found one skimming device placed over the card reader and held together with a strong, double-sided tape. They also found another device with a pinhole camera strategically placed to capture customers' PIN numbers.
There are several ways to prevent becoming a victim of this scam:
- Check your bank account on a regular basis
- Inspect the card slot before inserting your card, and be suspicious if it is crooked or loose. You can give the card reader a slight tug to ensure that it is not being held in place by tape.
- Anytime you have to enter your personal identification number to complete a transaction shield the number pad with your opposite hand to prevent any nearby mounted cameras to record your number.
- When using fuel pumps, choose one that is near the attendant. Suspects typically choose fuel pumps furthest away from the attendant or in shadows to prevent detection.
- Pay inside whenever you can. This method is time-consuming; however, it is the best practice in preventing this type of scam from happening to you.