CLEVELAND, TX (KTRK) --Macie Imel was just helping her family move some boxes into their new Cleveland home when she felt a sharp pain on her foot. It was 8:45 Monday night, and the fourth grader would soon find out, she was bitten by a copperhead snake.
"We were moving some final boxes into the house, we picked up one box, she took one step and started screaming, and it was under the box," recalled dad Clint Imel, who rushed to call 911. "When I was on the phone with 911 they were having to tell me to calm down so I can calm her down."
Macie was airlifted to the hospital, while her dad sprung into action on the snake.
"I went and loaded up my 22 pistol, and found the exact spot I had seen him in, and dealt with him," Clint Imel said.
Paramedics even brought the dead snake to the hospital, so doctors could positively identify it, and know exactly what bit Macie.
The 10-year-old is the second youngster to be bitten by a venomous snake this week. A rattlesnake bit a 14-year-old along the sand dunes of Surfside Beach on Sunday. Kaori Taylor is also recovering at Memorial Hermann, just like Macie.
The fourth grader is in good condition, and almost ready to leave the hospital. Her foot though, is still bruised and swollen. Once she does get home, her parents have new rules for their three kids.
"Boots or shoes before you go outside, every time now. Because that could have been easily prevented by just a shoe."