Fire in SW Houston store bathroom sends person to hospital

EMBED </>More News Videos

The fire broke out in a convenience store bathroom early Sunday morning.

One person was transported to the hospital after a fire in a convenience store bathroom early Sunday morning.

The fire broke out around 5:30am inside the bathroom, which is outside the store in the 13700 block of S Post Oak near Orem. At this point, we don't know how fire started. Crime scene investigators are now looking into it.

Investigators say a gas station employee heard an explosion this morning and ran outside to find the bathroom in flames. They called 911 and attempted to put the fire out using an extinguisher.

Inside, a man was badly injured with burns covering 85 percent of his body, police say. He is not likely to survive his injuries, investigators say, and he has not been identified.

Accelerants and lighters were found inside the bathroom. Detectives say the victim may have started the fire himself, but the medical examiner will have to determine whether that is the case.

The fire was contained to the bathroom area of the convenience store.



We're following this developing story and will post any new information as we get it.
Related Topics:
newsbuilding fireHouston
(Copyright ©2016 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments