Judge awards $3.8 million to elderly man targeted in knockout game

EMBED </>More News Videos

Knockout trial

Roy Coleman's jaw was shattered when a man choose him to be the victim in a dangerous "knockout game." The man responsible, Conrad Barrett was arrested and convicted, but on Friday, they both were back in court.

It was the first time they had seen each other in years. They first encountered each other in Katy three years ago in November when Barrett was 29-years-old and Coleman was 79-years-old.

Barrett recorded himself punching Coleman. In the video before the attack, Barrett said, "the plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"

EMBED </>More News Videos

Video released shows the knockout of an elderly man.

Barrett was arrested when he showed the video to an off duty police officer. He was charged with a federal hate crime and sentenced last year to 71 months in federal prison.

Barrett was back in court on Friday,acting as his own attorney in the civil suit.

It took a Fort Bend County judge less than three hours to award Roy Coleman $3.8 million in damages. Mike Johnansen represented Coleman and his family - for no charge.

"He was pleased he was able to sit in court and talk about it. I know it was difficult but that's part of the process," said Johnansen.

It was difficult for Coleman to speak on Friday, partly because he still has steel plates in his jaw and the punch caused him to suffer long-term speech damage.

Barrett returned to federal prison after the trial and once he is released, he can start trying to work off his debt.

"I understand there may never be a penny collected, but at the end of the day, it was about doing what's right for Roy and the civil side is part of the process," said Johnansen.
Related Topics:
newsknockouttrialFort Bend County
(Copyright ©2016 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments