LIBERTY COUNTY, TX (KTRK) --A 4-year-old boy is dead after a heavy steel barbecue pit accidentally fell on him at his home Tuesday in Liberty County.
The Liberty County Sheriff's Office says Bryan Jara accidentally pulled the pit onto himself.
The accident happened around 2pm at his home. An officer tried to revive the boy using CPR, but he died at the San Jacinto Methodist Hospital in Baytown.
His mother tells LCSO that she was in the house doing chores while her son played in the backyard. Then, she says, she heard a "thud" sound, and rushed out to find her son pinned under the pit.
Law enforcement says that he appeared to have been climbing on the pit when it fell over onto him.
LCSO says the investigation is ongoing, as the mother is distraught, but added that this appears to be a "tragic accident."
An autopsy is scheduled in this case.