Baby given adult-strength codeine in prescription mix-up

EMBED </>More Videos

A mother says a local pharmacy accidentally gave her a prescription for her child that could have been deadly

A North Houston woman wants other parents to hear her about a prescription mix-up she fears could have seriously hurt her infant daughter.

Carla Valencia filled a prescription at the Walgreens at Fulton and Quitman to treat her 8-month-old's persistent cough and cold. She gave the medicine to her daughter and noticed her fall asleep almost immediately, once with her eyes rolling back.

Two days later, she says a pharmacy technician from Walgreens knocked on her door and told her there had been a mistake.

The medicine inside the bottle was actually adult-strength codeine.

Walgreens confirmed the mistake, sending us this statement that reads in part quote:
    "Cases like this are rare and we take them very seriously. If a prescription error happens, our first concern is the patient's well-being. We're sorry this occurred and we apologized to the patient's mother. As soon as we learned of the incident, we contacted the child's mother and instructed her to stop administering the medication.
Related Topics:
healthprescription drugsHouston
(Copyright ©2018 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.)