HOUSTON (KTRK) --Brennan's of Houston is sharing some of their best brunch recipes that you can recreate for mom at home on her special day.
TRADITIONAL EGGS BENEDICT
Makes: 6 servings
- 6 each thin slices of Canadian bacon
- 6 each halves of English muffins (6 whole), toasted
- 6 each soft poached eggs (pasteurized)
- 1 1/2 cup Hollandaise sauce
1. Broil or saut bacon on both sides until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Put 2 English muffin halves on each warmed plate and top with a slice of
Canadian bacon; put the egg over the bacon and cover with hollandaise.
3. Serve immediately.
- 1 1/2 lbs. unsalted butter
- 4 egg yolks (pasteurized)
- 1 oz. water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 lemons
- 5 dashes Tabasco
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Do not let burn. When completely
melted, remove from heat and separate the oil form the milk solids.
2. Place pasteurized egg yolks and water in top of a double boiler over simmering water. The bottom of the upper pan should not touch the simmering water in the lower pan.
3. Whisk pasteurized yolks until mixture thickens and form sheen, and a temperature of 145F. In a slow steady stream, add butter, whisking constantly until all butter has been
4. Add lemon juice, Tabasco and salt to season.
5. Keep sauce for no longer than 4 hours at a 140 F. Discard
- 3 tbsp. White wine
- 2 tsp. Dried tarragon leaves
In a small saucepan heat white wine and tarragon until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and add to hollandaise sauce, mixing well.
FROBERG FARM STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
- 3 cups strawberries, fresh, stem removed, divided
- 1 cup sugar, granulated, divided
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier or Island Rum (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 ea. eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Vanilla sweetened cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar, granulated
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 6 each mint sprigs
1. In a blender or food processor, puree 1 cup strawberries, cup sugar and Grand Marnier.
2. Depending on the size, halve or quarter remaining strawberries
3. Combine flour, remaining cup sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
4. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbling.
5. Mix eggs, milk in a small bowl add to crumbly mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.
6. Use a dessert spoon to spoon out 6 equal portions of dough onto an ungreased sheet pan.
7. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and done; test with a toothpick. Reserve, keeping warm.
Vanilla sweetened cream
8. Place the cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla extract in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed or by hand until soft peak form, being careful not to over mix. Reserve in refrigerator until ready to use.
9. Slice shortcakes in half; place bottom half on each plate and top with strawberries and sauce. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream. Place top half shortcake over whipped cream; sift powder sugar over the top and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
10. Serve immediately.
BLUE CRAB RAVIGOTE and BUTTERMILK FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
Makes: 4 orders
- 8 each fried green tomatoes (see recipe)
- 1 lb Jumbo lump crabmeat, picked
- 1 cup ravigote sauce (see recipe)
- 6 oz baby arugula
- as needed sugar cane vinegar
- as needed salt, Kosher
- as needed pepper, black
1. Place 2 fried tomato slices on the plate.
2. Gently fold crabmeat with ravigote sauce.
3. Top each tomato with 2oz. of crabmeat mixture on each slice.
4. In a mixing bowl, splash baby arugula with sugar cane vinegar and season to taste
5. Divide arugula among four plates.
SOUTHERN FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 8 each Green Tomatoes, medium, sliced 1/4"
- to taste Kosher salt
- to taste black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- to taste Creole seasoning
1. Preheat oil to 350 degrees.
2. Slice tomatoes into " slices. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper.
3. Place flour in a mixing bowl. Set aside
4. Add buttermilk in a second mixing bowl.
5. In a third bowl add cornmeal.
6. Dredge tomato slices in flour, then submerge them one at a time completely into buttermilk.
7. Finally, dredge them into cornmeal and immediately fry 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Place on a wire rack or paper towels. Season generously on both sides with Creole seasoning.
Makes: 1 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 ea lemons (juiced)
- 2 tbsp Creole Mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp Pickled Okra, chopped
- Dash Louisiana Hot Sauce
- Dash Worcestershire Sauce
- To taste Salt, Kosher
- To taste Black Pepper
In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.