Fire breaks out at SW Houston home twice in one night

Thankful that no one was hurt, they're now trying to salvage whatever they can
April 21, 2014 3:36:59 PM PDT
A southwest Houston family is trying to salvage what they can after their house caught fire twice in the same night.

Tamara Lovall and her family sat outside their burned out home Monday morning wondering what's next for their lives.

"All the things I've had for years, just gone," she said.

The family is thankful they have each other. Seven relatives were living in the home on Fawn Terrace near Villa Lea when the fire started Sunday night.

Tamara recalled, "When we looked out the window it was engulfed in flames, and so we all just got out with whatever we had."

Tamara and her teenage son Quentin, her mother who recently had a stroke, along with her sister, brother-in-law and two children who'd recently fallen on hard times and needed a place to stay were all inside.

The fire started around 9pm Sunday with an air conditioning unit in her son's room. The family got out and firefighters were able to save part of the home and contents.

"I started smelling the smoke and it started increasing and I told everybody to get out, get out," Quentin said.

But about four hours later, the circumstances turned from bad to worse when the fire started again, this time destroying what was left.

"You just feel like you're being robbed," Tamara said. "Like I feel like I was just violated."

Daylight put an even greater spotlight on all that was lost, after a sleepless night that left a family wondering where to turn.

"Things happen for a reason and this is something that there is nothing I could have done differently to save anything," Tamara said.

The family was able to save a few family photos after the first fire.

Firefighters are focusing on the air conditioner as the possible cause for the first fire.


Load Comments