Neighbor credited with saving couple from fire

A couple says they are feeling lucky this morning after their neighbors woke them up after spotting flames coming from their home overnight.
March 21, 2014 3:57:45 AM PDT
Some alert neighbors helped a couple escape from their burning home on the city's south side overnight.

Firefighters were called out to the home on Gertin near Southmore around 12:30am.

Joseph Burks and his girlfriend had returned home from an event on the University of Houston campus when they spotted the flames. Burks says they knew they had to say something when they didn't see anybody standing out on the street.

"They came around, rang the doorbell and beat on the door and woke us up," said homeowner Mary Ann Broussard. 'You gotta get out, you gotta get out. Your house is on fire.'"

"It took them at least a minute before they came downstairs by that time they opened the door and I could see flames from the front door," Burks said.

Firefighters say an electrical short may have sparked the flames. No one was injured in the fire.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices


Load Comments