HFD: Smoking in bed sparks fire at north Houston motel

A cigarette caused an entire mattress to go up in flames at a north Houston motel.

March 18, 2014 4:26:24 AM PDT
Firefighters say a man smoking a cigarette in bed is what caused a motel fire in north Houston overnight.

It happened at The Texan Inn off the North Freeway near Crosstimbers.

Fire officials say the man thought he had put his cigarette out so he went to take a shower, but when he came out, he found his mattress on fire. That's when he called 911 and then jumped into action.

"He got out of the shower and was able to pull the hose out of the fire hose cabinet outside the room and was trying to extinguish the fire himself," said District Chief Kevin Carley with the Houston Fire Department. "So he was in the process of doing that when we pulled up."

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to that one room on the third floor so no evacuations were necessary. No one was hurt.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Load Comments