Woman badly burned in NW Harris Co. fire

It happened this morning in northwest Harris County
March 4, 2014 10:48:23 AM PST
A family's attempt to stay warm overnight in northwest Harris County may have ended up costing them their home.

We're told a husband and wife were in their trailer home near Aldine Mail at Chrisman last night with three space heaters on. The husband went to the store and when he returned, his trailer was on fire. His wife was able to escape, thanks to the help of a neighbor.

"I just don't think about it," said resident James Summit.

"You realize people watching this are going to think you're a hero," we told him.

"No, not a hero," he responded.

Though he denies he's a hero, Summitt ran into a burning trailer and rescued 51-year-old Amanda Faye Dartez Tuesday morning.

"I wasn't thinking about it," he said. "I just saw someone in trouble and i went in."

"I ran back into the house to get a blanket because she was so burnt and I was trying to keep her from going into shock and keep her warm," said neighbor Ruthie Summitt.

The home and most of the belongings inside are gone. Dartez is recovering in the hospital with major burns all over her body.

"She got some skin burns on her chest and stuff," her husband, John Foley, Jr., told us. "I gotta get to her."

Officials believe a faulty space heater is responsible for starting the fire.

"It's just a real dangerous situation," said Lt. Dean Hensley with the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office. "You gotta have a lot of space around combustibles and furniture and things like that or it gets out of hand real quick."

Fire officials want to warn people to be careful with space heaters. They say make sure they're operating properly and are away from anything that can burn.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Load Comments