Animals rescued from fire at New Jersey pet store

These two birds were among the lucky animals rescued when a pet store caught fire in New Jersey
March 13, 2014 6:48:11 PM PDT
Authorities in New Jersey rescued several animals from a fire at a pet store yesterday.

ABC7 New York reports that all of the pets are staying at a nearby animal hospital and with kind-hearted neighbors.

What's amazing is the timing of the response, which likely saved their lives.

Nancy Nelson, a veterinary clinic employee, was reportedly headed to work yesterday morning when she just happened to drive by the Pet Center on Route 23 in Franklin. The smoke alarm had just gone off.

She and a few others jumped into action and helped emergency responders pull birds, gerbils, dogs, cats and a chinchilla out of the building.

"It was organized chaos," Nelson told ABC7. "Everybody had a job. Everybody was doing a job. Animal people come together very quickly when it comes to a rescue situation as people know what to do."

A veterinarian checked out all ofthe animals, and we're told they are all going to be fine thanks to the quick response.

Get more on this story and its heroes from our sister station, WABC-TV.


Load Comments