Houston Mayor Parker: 'We will have a Thanksgiving parade'

Houston's Thanksgiving Day parade to go on as planned after all

August 13, 2013 10:20:21 AM PDT
We have an update on the battle to save Houston's Thanksgiving Day parade. The show will go on.

Houston Mayor Annise Parker said today thanks to $400,000 in private sector donations, led by H-E-B, the parade will be held as scheduled.

"It'll go on as planned, but it'll go on under different management and we believe it will be a parade, that, while it'll be a little different, will be enjoyable and one that Houstonians will want to visit," said Mayor Parker during the news conference.

Aside from H-E-B, the parade will be funded by Central Houston, Central Houston members and Houston Arts Alliance. Ward and Ames Special Events will serve as event manager of operations and the Mayor's Office of Special Events will provide additional oversight.

"The annual holiday parade is a Houston tradition that must continue," said Mayor Parker. "There was no way I was going to let everyone down. Thankfully, our corporate friends and others feel the same way and have stepped up to help out. I was confident they would do so because they are always willing to help when there's a problem to be solved. It is due to their quick action and generosity that everything has fallen into place nicely."

Citing financial difficulties, the Houston Festival Foundation publicly announced last week that it would no longer produce the parade.

Find Samica on Facebook at ABC13SamicaKnight or on Twitter at @SamicaKnight13

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices

Load Comments