Southeast Houston house fire blamed on space heater

March 13, 2013 10:02:36 AM PDT
A space heater is being blamed for starting an overnight house fire in southeast Houston.

The fire broke out just before 2am Wednesday at the home on Hemlock at Redwood. When fire crews arrived, they say the home was engulfed in flames.

They apparently had trouble finding a water source, which gave the fire a leg up on them and they were unable to keep the fire from spreading.

"There was a slight delay in developing a water supply, and then the house has been remodeled and added on to a few times," said District Chief Tom Slagle with the Houston Fire Department. "We had some fires in some void spaces that made it more labor intensive to dig those fires out."

According to the fire department, the couple who live in the home had left a space heater on when they went to bed. That heater was a little too close to the couch and caught the couch on fire.

No injuries were reported.

The family tells Eyewitness News they have no other place to go. This has been their home for 14 years.

Red Cross workers were at the scene. They'll be helping the couple find another place to live.

Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices

Load Comments