LAPD Deputy Chief Mark Perez, who is in charge of the disciplinary proceedings, rejected Dorner's claims Wednesday.
"I believe it was a fair trial, I believe that the hearing officers went above and beyond what they had to, to go through the questioning process of getting through the really tough, granular points of truth," he said.
Perez describes a process designed to filter out politics. Three people are on the board, including two randomly chosen from LAPD and one civilian. There are witnesses and evidence.
"By a preponderance of evidence, and only by a preponderance of evidence, can somebody be terminated," he said.
The LAPD Board of Rights dismissed 22 people in 2010, 15 in 2011 and 33 last year.
Police Chief Charlie Beck has called for the assistant for constitutional policing, who is a civilian, to review Dorner's case. Beck says he wants to be sure all procedures were followed correctly.
But reopening the case raises questions for other fired officers. The head of the police union says the decision has "left many of our members in absolute limbo."
Six other cops want their cases reopened, too.
"Like the chief said, we reopen cases all the time, we review cases and we do biopsies of these cases both internally with internal affairs and with the inspector general, and the inspector general is regularly reviewing cases that our guys have investigated," said LAPD Cmdr. Andy Smith.
The San Bernardino Sheriff's Department estimates a $550,000 cost figure for the Dorner manhunt; LAPD has not yet calculated its expenditures. For, now it's more concerned with restoring public trust.
LAPD also notes there is an appeals process if officers believe they have been fired unjustly. Dorner took his case to the L.A. Superior Court and the state appellate court. Both courts sided with the LAPD.