There is no rest for the weary in a runoff for a special election.
"We've redoubled our efforts and made thousands and thousands of phone calls and knocked on a lot of doors," said candidate Sylvia Garcia.
Her campaign says they've made more than 100,000 phone calls and knocked on even more doors. She took the most votes in an eight person contest last month. Now she and her team are working to duplicate their success with the finish line just 10 days away.
"I think we're gonna get there. But there are so many different factors that dictate that we're going to act like we're behind and keep going 'till we get to the finish line," Garcia said.
Current State Representative Carol Alvarado is also working to win the seat left vacant when long-time State Senator Mario Gallegos died and was posthumously re-elected in November.
"We know what we have to do. We know where we have to go. And I think getting endorsements from some of our former opponents, their votes totaling a little over a thousand votes, that's going to be helpful," said Rep. Alvarado.
Though as a sitting state representative Alvarado's found the runoff pulling her away from Austin and the legislative session to campaign in Senate District 6.
"I'm keeping tabs on what's going on and reading and we have a staff there that briefs me daily," Alvarado said.
Just 16,000 voters of the more than 300,000 registered voted in January. KTRK Political Consultant Dr. Richard Murray, whose son Kier works for the Alvarado campaign, says voter turnout will likely be another 20 percent lower this time around.
"If you're afraid of crowds, go to the polls on Election Day. You won't be bothered," said Dr. Murray.
Eligible voters will have seven days to cast a ballot in-person prior to Election Day, Saturday, March 2nd, including one weekend.
The Early Voting Schedule is as follows
- February 20 - February 22: 8am - 4:30pm
- February 23: 7am - 7pm
- February 24: 1pm - 6pm
- February 25 - February 26: 7am - 7pm
There will be seven early voting locations during the Early Voting Period:
- Harris County Administration Building, 1001 Preston, 1st Floor, Houston, TX 77002
- Holy Name Catholic Church, 1912 Marion Street, Houston, TX 77009
- Ripley House, 4410 Navigation Boulevard, Houston, TX 77011
- H.C.C.S Southeast College, Learning Hub, 6815 Rustic, Building D, Houston, TX 77087
- Galena Park Library, 1500 Keene Street, Galena Park, TX 77547
- Hardy Senior Center, 11901 West Hardy Road, Houston, TX 77076
- Baytown Community Center, 2407 Market Street, Baytown, TX 77520
For more information regarding early voting, voting by mail, sample ballots, and Election Day polling locations, voters should visit HarrisVotes.com or call 713-755-6965.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices