Chief Steve Hinds in Bath says the duplex was on fire when crews arrived on the scene on Bluff Road at about 5 a.m. Tuesday. Neighbors say they heard an explosion.
He tells WMTW-TV he suspects the fire was started by a propane or natural gas explosion.
He says there is a quarter-mile debris field.
An investigator with the state Fire Marshal's office is on the way to the scene.
No names were immediately released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices