Hot plate leads to man's death in Galveston house fire

December 12, 2012 2:17:05 PM PST
Fire investigators say a Galveston man died in a house fire sparked by the hot plate he was using to stay warm.

It happened in the 2400 block of Avenue P 1/2 late Tuesday night. Investigators say 77-year-old Brady Matthews had the hot plate very close to his bed when it caught fire. Firefighters were able to rescue Matthews' wife, but could not get to him.

Firefighters want to remind residents to think about fire safety when trying to stay warm during this cold front.

You can read about fire prevention tips from the Houston Fire Department by clicking here.

Load Comments