Space heater starts house fire on Houston's south side

The homeowner says he was sleeping under a quilt next to a space heater last night and accidently caught the quilt on fire.

November 15, 2012 4:14:53 AM PST
A house caught fire in Houston's south side because a man left a space heater on last night.

Investigators say the man was sleeping at his home on Mainer near Scott when he woke up and knocked the heater over around 10:30pm.

Authorities say his quilt went up in flames and then the rest of the bedroom furniture caught fire.

"I tried to pull the quilt off the bed, but as soon as I tried to pull it away, the bed, so it wouldn't catch on fire, but just kept on burning, so I just got on out of there," said fire victim Steven Brown.

The man was able to get out of his home safely, but did have a minor burn on his hand.

Load Comments