The incident happened around 8am Monday in the 2700 block of Broadway as a 13-year-old girl was walking to Deady Middle School, according to Houston police.
The girl told police a man came up to her and inappropriately touched her but she managed to break free. The girl ran back home to tell her parents, who then reported the incident to the Houston Police Department.
In a school letter to parents, Deady Middle School principal Ivonne Rodriguez says an investigation is ongoing and both Houston police and HISD police have increased patrols in the neighborhood.
The school district says children who walk to and from school should take note of the following safety tips:
- Students should walk in groups, not alone
- Students should avoid distractions, such as cell phones, and pay attention to their surroundings
- Students who are approached by a stranger should run away and seek help from others
- Students should physically resist and yell for help if anyone tries to force them into a vehicle or a home
- Students should immediately report any incident that makes them uncomfortable