Deputy: Boy burned while playing with flammable liquid

An 11-year-old boy was burned while he reportedly was playing with flammable liquid in north Harris County.

September 26, 2012 4:08:24 AM PDT
Deputies say an 11-year-old boy was seriously burned in north Harris County while he and his friends were playing with a flammable liquid.

The incident happened near Aldine ISD's Grantham Academy in the 1500 block of Sandydale Lane.

Deputies believe the boy was initially taken to Memorial Hermann, where he was stabilized, but was transported by ground to Galveston Shriners Burn Hospital. They say the boy suffered second-degree burns on 50 percent of his body.

Detectives say this began when four children were playing, lighting newspapers on fire during a football game that isn't affiliated with the school.

Deputies say one of the boys began pouring rubbing alochol when somehow, the flames got on another boy. The boy then started running down the street on fire. That's when neighbors came out and tried rolling the boy on the ground.

"It's heartbreaking. You don't wish that on anyone, you don't," one neighbor told us. "He may have been in shock because he didn't have a reaction. He just had a dead stare. He just wasn't reacting to anything."

Parents and children at the scene are very upset.

Investigators are still talking to the boy's friends to determine exactly what happened.

No other details were immediately available.

Stay with Eyewitness News and for the latest details.

Load Comments