Man pulled from burning home, rushed to hospital

September 23, 2012 4:57:54 PM PDT
A man was rushed to the hospital Sunday after firefighters pulled him from his burning home in northwest Houston.

Flames ripped through the home on Ashmole Lane at Esther Drive. The Houston Fire Department received reports that someone was trapped inside, but officials said burglar bars slowed firefighters' efforts to get to the victim.

"They tried to make entry," said J. Evans with HFD. "This house has burglar bars on the front door, on all the doors. It also has a bar on the inside of the doors."

Firefighters eventually gained entry, but they said it was difficult to navigate through the house because of thick smoke.

Rescuers made their way into the master bathroom where they found the man in the shower with the water running. He was unconscious and not responding, officials said.

The man was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital with CPR in progress. At last check, his condition was unknown.

Firefighters believe the blaze started in the kitchen. They are working to determine the exact cause.

Neighbors tell us the injured man was a relative of the homeowner, who was not home at the time.

Load Comments