Man accused of trying to poison boy, 4, with salt

Rolando Tomas Mendez, 21, is charged with felony injury to a child

August 31, 2012 11:32:10 AM PDT
A man is facing charges accused of pouring a large quantity of salt into the mouth of his girlfriend's four-year-old son last year.

Rolando Tomas Mendez, 21, is charged with felony injury to a child. Last September the boy was taken to the hospital for emergency treatment of an elevated sodium level. Doctors told police the boy was either poisoned with excessive salt or deprived of water.

The boy said Mendez tilted his head back and poured salt into his mouth. Mendez denied the allegations and refused to take a polygraph about the incident.

He is currently in jail and being held on a $50,000 bond.