The fire happened just before 10:30 this morning near Bartell and Hearth, not far from the Astrodome. It didn't take crews long to get the flames out, but firefighters had to break out some of the windows on the first floor to let the smoke out.
Two tenants had to be treated for smoke inhalation. One resident says he heard the fire alarm go off, but ignored it at first because it goes off frequently.
"For me, as safety conscious as I am, to just chalk it off like I was nothing, I, they need to maybe think about their policies about how often they cry wolf with their fire alarms, so to speak," he said.
No one was inside the first floor unit when it caught fire.
Arson investigators are looking into what may have started the fire.