According to H-E-B, there have been no confirmed illnesses reported related to this precautionary recall. However, H-E-B says undercooked chicken has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The recall involves 19 Ready-to-Eat entrees and meals sold in 40 stores in Texas including one store in Houston. The product was available at the Grab 'N Go section in H-E-B Delis. The product(s) come in a 4 ounce, 8 ounce, 12 ounce, 24 ounce black plastic containers with a clear lid, single serve sizes and to-go containers and include the following products:
- GENERAL JOES CHICKEN ENTREE 0026966900000
- LEMON CHICKEN ENTREE 0026967000000
- LEMON GRASS CHICKEN ENTREE 0026967100000
- SESAME CHICKEN ENTREE 0026960600000
- SWEET SOUR CHICKEN ENTREE 0026967200000
- HE BOWL GENERAL JOES CHICKEN 0026967400000
- HE BOWL LEMON CHICKEN 0026967500000
- HE BOWL LEMON GRASS CHICKEN 0026967600000
- HE BOWL SESAME CHICKEN 0026967700000
- HE BOWL SWEET SOUR CHICKEN 0026967800000
- GENERAL JOE'S CHICKEN - HEX 0026520900000
- SESAME CHICKEN-RETAIL PACK 0026521900000
- LEMON CHICKEN- RETAIL PACK 0026521700000
- LEMON GRASS CHICKEN-RETAIL PAC 0026521800000
- GENERAL JOES CHICKEN - FS COLD 0026703700000
- SESAME CHICKEN 0026704500000
- SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN 0026705000000
- LEMON CHICKEN 0026705100000
- LEMON GRASS CHICKEN 0026705200000
The UPC code is located on the white sticker that is placed over the seam of the product container.
"H-E-B is committed to the highest standards of food safety for our customers," said Winell Herron, Group Vice President of Public Affairs and Diversity. "We take every precaution necessary to ensure the integrity and quality of the products sold in our stores."
The issue was discovered due to a consumer complaint about the possibility of undercooked chicken in one of the dishes mentioned above. Any product sold prior to 5/3/12 is affected and should be returned to any H-E-B store for a full refund. Customers with concerns or questions can contact H-E-B Customer Relations at 210-938-8357 or 1-800-432-3113 between the hours of 8AM and 5PM Monday through Friday.