Suspect who shot at police officer captured

Authorities are trying to track down a chase suspect who allegedly opened fire on an officer.
March 13, 2012 12:48:14 PM PDT
On the ground and in the air -- the search was on for several hours for a man who opened fire on a police officer during a traffic stop. SWAT officers and the Texas Rangers worked together to hunt down the shooter. The suspect was reportedly captured shortly after noon.

That shooting happened during a traffic stop early this morning near Sealy. Police say the suspect fired at the officer, hitting his patrol car.

The man then sped off and after crashing his car in a ditch, he ran off on foot.

Police, Texas Rangers and sheriff's deputies spent hours searching by car, air and horseback before tracking down the suspect, identified as Travis Bluntson, 30. It all started around 3:30am after Sealy police say one of their officers made a traffic stop at I-10 and FM3538.

Police say Bluntson, 30 took off, eventually turning his vehicle around and driving towards the officer. Police say as Bluntson approached the officer's vehicle, he fired one shot, shattering the windshield and causing glass to strike the officer in the face.

Authorities say Bluntson took off again in the car, but eventually lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a ditch, and took off on foot on I-10 at Pyka Road.

Charles Strozar, a worker inside the convenience store nearby, said his sister heard all the commotion.

"She heard the shots," he said. "I don't know if she heard screaming, but she locked this place down."

The officer was treated at the scene for minor injuries from the broken glass.

Bluntson is considered armed and dangerous. He is described as a black male, standing 6-foot-1 and weighing around 178 pounds. He was wearing a black or brown sweater.

Due to the search, nearby BAE Systems and a convenience store had been placed on lockdown. Bluntson was ultimately captured at a motel in Wharton shortly after noon.

Sealy police have issued a warrant for Bluntson. He's been charged with attempted capital murder. Bond has been set at $500,000.

We'll have the very latest on this developing story on Eyewitness News and

Load Comments