Resident smoking in bed sparks fire at apartment complex

Firefighters say someone was in bed smoking when the mattress caught fire.

February 3, 2012 5:01:12 AM PST
Firefighters kept flames from spreading to upstairs units at an apartment complex overnight.

Fire crews were called out to the Coppertree apartments on West Gulf Bank at Veterans Memorial just before midnight in northwest Houston.

Crews found flames coming from a downstairs apartment and made a fast attack. There were two people in the apartment when the fire started but they escaped unharmed.

Arson investigators say one of the residents started the fire while smoking in bed.

Load Comments