Space heater may be to blame for NE Houston fire

January 29, 2012 1:46:03 PM PST
A space heater fire may be to blame for a fire on Houston's northeast side.

The fire started around 10:30pm at a home on Sumpter near Granger. Two brothers live at the house, but they weren't home when the fire started.

According to the Houston Fire Department, one of the brothers left the space heater on in his bedroom and then the bedding caught fire. The flames spread throughout the back of the house and into the kitchen.

The brothers learned their house was up in flames when neighbors started calling.

"I couldn't believe it,' said homeowner Patrick Jenings. "Everybody just started calling and all the neighbors called and it just shocked me. I don't know what I'm gonna do."

HFD says the fire should serve as a reminder to never leave a space heater unattended.

Load Comments