GALVESTON, TX --If you haven't been to Galveston Island lately, you might want to make plans for May 15 as the island celebrates Texas Tourism Week by offering a 50 percent discount on most of its attractions. The event will show appreciation to the island's loyal tourists while highlighting the fact that Galveston Island is the No. 1 tourism attraction in Texas for Texans, according to the state's Economic Development and Tourism division of the Governor's Office. Participating attractions for the 50 percent discount include:
- Moody Gardens - Half off regular adult admission for up to six people, including individual tickets or the Day Pass to all Moody Gardens attractions.
- The Grand 1894 Opera House - Half off tickets to May 15 performance of "STOMP" at 3 p.m. (Limited Seating. Online sales at www.thegrand.com http://www.thegrand.com may use coupon code "TOURISM").
- Lone Star Flight Museum - Half off regular admission.
- Moody Mansion - Half off regular admission.
- Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum - Half off regular admission.
- Galveston Railroad Museum - Half off regular admission.
- Texas Seaport Museum - Half off adult admission.
- Great Storm Theater at Pier 21 - Half off adult admission.
Texas Tourism Week coincides with National Tourism Week, which is being held May 7-15 this year. Tourism is one of the top industries on Galveston Island, drawing more than 5 million visitors and $700 million annually.