HFD: Family escapes fire thanks to smoke detectors

Firefighters credit a working smoke detector for getting the family in this home out safely

May 1, 2011 2:25:23 PM PDT
A family awoke Sunday to find flames tearing through their home, and authorities say they rushed out in the nick of time. It happened around midnight at a home on Browncroft near Beekman in southeast Houston.

Firefighters say a family of five lives at the home and three were inside sleeping when the fire sparked.

Authorities say they woke up because of the sound of a blaring smoke detector and escaped safely.

Firefighters got the fire out and say the outcome could have been much worse if the house didn't have a working smoke detector.

Arson investigators are working to figure out what sparked the flames.

Load Comments