'Stupid smoking' apparently leads to fire

February 4, 2011 12:24:54 AM PST
An official in Portland, Ore., says a house fire that caused $30,000 in damage was apparently started by tenants who were using a hole in the floor as an ashtray. Portland Fire and Rescue spokesman Paul Corah says, in his words, "That's not careless smoking, that's stupid smoking."

He says the caller who reported the fire Wednesday also hung up on the 911 dispatcher, then refused to talk when the dispatcher tried to call back for more details.

No one was injured.

Load Comments