Drugs discovered during house fire

January 19, 2011 10:07:16 AM PST
Firefighters in Spring stumbled upon a marijuana growing operation after extinguishing a house fire Tuesday night. The blaze broke out at a home in the 100 block of Sweet Leaf Grove about 7:30pm in north Harris County. The Spring Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire. Damage was confined to the residence only, with heavy fire damage concentrated in the attic area.

After the fire was extinguished, firefighters observed what appeared to be a large quantity of marijuana growing in the attic along with fluorescent lighting and other miscellaneous electrical equipment.

"The house was occupied by a family of three, but no one was injured," said Don Farris with the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office. "No arrests were made at the time and the Harris County Sheriff's Department took custody of the suspected marijuana plants."

Farris stated that the fire apparently originated in the attic and was caused by a malfunction of an electrical appliance.

This was the second fire this week where a marijuana growing operation was discovered. The other fire resulting in a pot bust happened Saturday night in San Leon.

The video in the player above was shot by an ABC13 viewer named Delia who sent it to us through our iWitness reports website. If you see news happen, shoot some video or snap a picture, and send it to iWitness at this email address: news@abc13.com.


Load Comments