Amber Alert canceled after boys found safe

An Amber Alert was issued for Mark Cantu (left) and Bryant Ybarra (right), who were last seen with their mother, Brenda Perez (center), on Friday. The three were located in Bastrop on Saturday, police say.

November 13, 2010 8:56:31 PM PST
Two young boys who were the focus of an Amber Alert are now safe. But the mother who was with them is now expected to face charges in the case. The mother and the boys went missing last night in north Harris County. We told you earlier Saturday the Amber Alert was issued after the woman's husband received a scary text message from her. However, investigators believe this wasn't a kidnapping at all.

Brenda Perez, her 6-year-old son, Mark Anthony Cantu, and her 9-year-old brother, Bryant Yberra, all lived at the home of Perez's husband. On Friday, they disappeared.

"She hasn't called nobody; the phone is off," said Perez's husband.

He told Harris County detectives he received a text from his wife on Saturday that claimed she and the boys had been kidnapped and were being held for ransom. Just after 6pm, we spoke to him and things had changed.

"I think they found her already," he told us.

Perez, 25, was found in Bastrop along with the boys. They were traced there by her cell phone and they were found investigators say with a man who had picked the three up on Friday outside their home. Neighbors say they'd seen Perez and the boys getting into a truck that drove away.

The house is empty Saturday night as Perez's husband left early in the evening. Neighbors are still wondering about all the excitement in an otherwise quiet neighborhood. It's drama they say that no one needs.

"Yes it is, yes it is. Like I said, I'm just glad that they're OK," said neighbor Joyce Baker.

The boys are in CPS custody in Bastrop. Perez is in custody and will be brought back to Houston. According to detectives, Perez is facing a charge of filing a false report by sending the kidnapping text.


Load Comments