Firefighters hand out safety info in NE Houston

Firefighters handed out fire safety information in northeast Houston after a man died in a fire there.

August 17, 2010 4:20:35 PM PDT
Houston firefighters Tuesday handed out fire safety information at a northeast Houston apartment complex where a man died in a fire over the weekend. Firefighters went door-to-door at the Kingswood Village apartments talking to residents about having a fire escape plan in place. They also discussed fire hazards and the importance of having working smoke detectors.

"The most common danger we find typically in homes is a smoke detector that is not working due to battery or due to the smoke detector being out of date. Another safety hazard we find is people typically put furniture in front of their windows, and if they are trapped in their home they can't exit out of the window," said Houston Fire Department Assistant Chaplain Ronnie Harrison.

A resident died Sunday morning from smoke inhalation, and investigators say it looked he left a cigarette burning when he went to bed.


Load Comments