YMCA building fire caused by unattended lit candle

Firefighters were called to the scene of a fire in downtown Houston shortly before 2pm

May 20, 2010 3:35:09 PM PDT
Firefighters now say an unattended lit candle was the cause of a fire in a high rise downtown Wednesday afternoon. The fire broke out around 1:40pm Wednesday afternoon and caused more than $50,000 worth of damage at the YMCA building on Louisiana Street. It also forced the evacuation of the entire building.

The three alarm fire was tapped out after about 40 minutes. All of the occupants safely evacuated the building and there were no reported injuries.

The management for the YMCA reported having taken high-rise fire safety training within the year and fire safety drills which aided in the safe evacuation.


Load Comments