Boy, 9, dies after choking on marshmallow

March 2, 2010 10:07:23 AM PST
A service will be held Wednesday for a Victoria boy who was doing a school project on camping when he died after apparently choking on a marshmallow. Fourth-grader Pedro Vicente Hernandes was 9. Counselors are available at Schorlemmer Elementary School, where the accident happened Friday. Justice of the Peace Stuart Posey ordered an autopsy.

District spokeswoman Diane Boyett says it appears the death was possibly caused by a choking accident.

Boyett says Hernandes was assembling ingredients to prepare s'mores as a writing activity with a camping theme. The campfire dessert uses marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers.

The Victoria Advocate reports a teacher saw the boy collapse after he said he did not feel well and needed water.

A school nurse and Victoria fire department employees attempted to resuscitate Hernandes, who was pronounced dead at a hospital.


Load Comments