Grocery store evacuated after 14 fall ill

November 10, 2009 1:30:54 PM PST
Six people are on their way to the hospital after a strange smell sickened more than a dozen people at a Maryland grocery store. Montgomery County fire department officials said the Giant Food store was evacuated Tuesday after 14 people became ill when they smelled what they thought was gasoline throughout the store. The injuries were not considered serious.

It's not clear how many people sickened are store employees or how many are customers.

Two smaller shops nearby were also evacuated. Firefighters and a hazardous materials team have responded to the scene.

      QUICK HEADLINES | MORE US/WORLD | GET NEWS ALERTS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABC13 SOCIAL NETWORKING
Find us on Facebook® | Follow us on Twitter | More social networking
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORE FROM ABC13
ABC13 widget | Most popular stories | Street-level weather
ABC13 wireless | Slideshow archive | Help solve crimes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Load Comments