NY rescinds mandatory H1N1 shot order

October 23, 2009 8:56:14 AM PDT
New York's state health department is rescinding its controversial order requiring swine flu shots for all health care workers.Thursday night's decision says that the H1N1 vaccine supply is limited and should be reserved for the highest-risk groups. The earlier order would have forced health care workers across the state to get swine flu vaccines by the end of November or risk losing their jobs.

Workers had protested the ruling, arguing that it was unfair to force them to put a substance into their bodies. Unions and health workers sued the state, and a judge issued a temporary restraining order last week. Now, the New York governor's office is releasing a statement saying New York would be getting only about 23 percent of its anticipated vaccine supply this month.

Those vaccines should go to people most at risk for serious illness and death, including pregnant women and people under 24 years old, officials said.

      QUICK HEADLINES | MORE US/WORLD | GET NEWS ALERTS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABC13 SOCIAL NETWORKING
Find us on Facebook® | Follow us on Twitter | More social networking
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MORE FROM ABC13
ABC13 widget | Most popular stories | Street-level weather
ABC13 wireless | Slideshow archive | Help solve crimes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Load Comments